Camptosauridae

The Camptosauridae were a family of herbivorous, beaked ornithiscian dinosaurs described both from the late Jurassic period Morrison Formation of North America and from multiple European findings.

The holotype partial skeleton specimen was discovered by William Harlow Reed of Albany County, Wyoming in 1879, with the famed Yale paleontologist Othniel Charles Marsh first naming the specimen Camptonotus, only to rename the specimen Camptosaurus dispar in 1885.

While Marsh assigned Camptosaurus to a family of its own (Camptosauridae), other investigators at the time regarded this to be an early member of the Iguanodontidae. Contemporary phylogenetics has placed C. dispar as a basal representative of the clade Ankylopollexia, thereby relating the genus to the later ancestors of the iguanodontid and hadrosaurid dinosaurs that were yet to evolve, but being more derived than other late Jurassic ornithiscians such as Dryosaurus and Othnielosaurus.

Recovered specimens indicate that C. dispar ranged from 6-7.9 meters in length (up to 26 feet) and attained a weight of up to approximately 750-1,000 kilograms.

PaleoElegance Compendium

View the PaleoElegance Dinosaur offerings.

 

Return to the PaleoElegance Compendium.